Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Getting Setup for JavaScript Testing with Pavlov

I've talked about testing CoffeeScript with Pavlov in a previous post. Today, I'm going to talk about a couple of ways to quickly get started with Pavlov--a BDD API that sits on top of QUnit--in an ASP.NET web app.

In the past, whenever I wanted to start creating Pavlov specs, I would go out to the Pavlov GitHub site, grab the appropriate files, and add them to my web app. While this process isn't all that time consuming, there is now a better way. Now I can simply install the Pavlov NuGet package using the NuGet Visual Studio Extension. This package adds a folder named Specs under the Scripts folder that includes a barebones html file and pavlov.js.

An example of what the file structure looks like after this package is installed is shown below:


If I prefer to have a simple example to start with, I can alternatively install the Pavlov.Sample package. This adds the same files as the Pavlov package, but also includes an example.specs.js file with the code from the example on the Pavlov GitHub site.

Lastly, I've been writing a fair amount of CoffeeScript lately, so I may prefer to have the sample specs written in CoffeeScript. All that is needed for this is to make sure that Mindscape Web WorkBench Visual Studio Extension is installed (this is a onetime install) and then install the Pavlov.Coffee NuGet package. The files are then added to the project including a example.specs.coffee file that looks like this:



No comments:

Post a Comment